Free PhotoShop Brushes and How to Install Them
Last week on a whim I threw away all my Photoshop brushes. Lately I’ve been feeling like my work has been missing some texture. I have a few brushes that I had been waiting to try and never did because I was stuck in my ways. I know that it’s not the brushes that make a good artist but I feel like I needed to change something and the brushes were the quickest and easiest thing I could think of.
By the way PLEASE don’t throw away your brushes without backing them up first.
This impulsive move has led me to several great places to find new Photoshop brushes. I thought I’d share some of these sites with you. Please be sure to download these brushes as soon as possible. They are free from each of these artists and they could remove the links at anytime.
First let me explain how you install new brushes into Photoshop.
- Before you install make sure that the brushes you’re about to use are compatible with the version of Photoshop you’re using.
- Next download the brushes. You may have to unzip the file so be sure to do that as well. The brush files extension should be .abr
- Now open PhotoShop.
- Once Photoshop is open click “Window” menu in the tool bar and select brushes Presets.
- Now select the drop down menu in the upper right-hand corner of the brush palette and open that menu. Once the drop-down menu is open select “load brushes”.
- Now find your saved .abr brush file and open it.
- The brushes you added should show up in the brushes palette near the bottom.
Now onto the brushes. Please know that all the links below go to the creator of these brushes website and you will be going to outside pages to download these brushes. Continue reading