Student Illustrator Scholarship
Each year, the SCBWI sponsors four conference scholarships for full-time graduate or undergraduate students studying illustration.
Scholarship applications for the 2013 Winter Conference in New York open October 1st!
Each scholarship will provide:
- Admission to all conference events including keynotes and breakout sessions
- Entry in the Juried Portfolio Showcase.
- *Note: The winner of the Los Angeles portfolio showcase receives a trip to New York City to meet with art directors
- The Illustration Master Class (Los Angeles) or the Illustrator Intensive (New York)
- An individual portfolio consultation with an illustrator or art director (Los Angeles only)
- Exclusive exposure to art directors at the conference
- One year’s SCBWI membership dues.
Transportation, accommodation and related expenses are not included.
To be eligible, you must be currently enrolled as a full time graduate or undergraduate student at an accredited educational institution.Applicants cannot have published a picture book or have received this scholarship before.SCBWI reserves the right not to award the scholarships in any given year.
To apply for a scholarship, please send the following to email@example.com:
• A description in 250 words or less of why you wish to attend the SCBWI Conference. Description must be in the body of the email, not in a separate attachment.
• Three samples of your children’s book-style illustrations in separate attachments (not in one pdf.) The title of each file must be structured as follows: first name_last name_1 (please do not include titles of the pieces)
• A letter of recommendation from an Illustration Faculty member (the letter should be emailed directly from the faculty member. The subject line should be structured as follows:
(Student Name) SIS recommendation
• Your address, full name as it is listed in your school’s records, phone number and a photo of your current student I.D.
• The subject line of your email must be structured as follows: Your Name SIS
DEADLINE: Applications are due December 3rd for the Winter 2013 Conference. The winners will be notified six weeks prior to the Conference.
JUDGING: Scholarship recipients will be chosen by a rotating jury composed of three industry professionals.
NOTE: In the event that a recipient can not attend for any reason, the grant committee should be notified as soon as possible. The scholarship may, in that event, be awarded to another applicant.
The grant is not transferrable and cannot be postponed.